Oxford Self Help: a Peer Support Program of CMHA
On April 1, 2017, OSHN and CMHA became one organization. As part of the Strategic Planning process, a Core Purpose was developed for OSHN, which states:
People helping people help themselves
We support anyone in their mental wellness journey through listening, shared-experience, and belonging
Peer Supporters are people who have a lived experience with a mental illness and are now in recovery. They understand a lot about mental health because they have been there themselves. They have taken Ontario Peer Development Initiative (OPDI) training for the role in addition to their personal experience.
Peer Supporters provide mentorship, emotional support, problem solving, goal setting, and referrals to other community supports. Peer Supporters promote hope, empowerment and self-determination through non-judgemental listening and person-centred goal setting.
Click here to view the July Newsletter!
Click here to view the August Newsletter!
A Peer Supporter may help in a 1:1 setting, those who …
- Need support to work through difficult feelings and thoughts
- Connections to other agencies
- Are dealing with personal issues such as shelter, housing, food, hygiene, and recreation.
- Need help in increasing social connections
- Are family members who would like to understand their loved one’s experience better
The Oxford Self-Help Drop in Centre provides various group programming such as:
- Support groups related to diagnosis such as Mood Disorders, Post-Partum Mood Disorder and Schizophrenia Support
- Educational groups such as Living Life to the Full, life skills like budgeting, self-care,
- Wellness groups such as mindfulness, meditation
- Psycho-social rehab groups such as Choices (a healthy lifestyle group), Grocery Shopping program
- Social/Activity groups such as crafts, cards, and book club.
- Outreach and education with the hospital and other community agencies such as the community health centre
- Geographical coverage with drop in groups and support groups in Tillsonburg and Ingersoll
For more information call 519-539-8055 x 200 or email email@example.com